Sunday, October 12, 2008

Where did the summer go?

Wow, has it really been almost 90 days since I last posted here? I've hardly even given it a thought. I guess that's what happens when you're soo (too) busy!

I've been communicating with several people who either are current victims of GBS or are family members of current victims. One of them is a gentleman from Moscow, Russia. We all have different degrees or levels of disability from the illness, but we all share the same frustrations at the loss of independence and ability to maintain our former daily lives.

I'd love to hear from any of you who read this blog about your experience with GBS.

My wife and I will be travelling the middle of the month, first to a college alumni reunion in TN and then to the tenth bi-annual GBS-CIDP Symposium up in the Chicago, IL area. We're very much looking forward to renewing old acquaintances. Between the two events will be stops at two of our children's homes to spend time relaxing with our kids and their kids.

And after our return I'll be having some follow-up tests done to determine the current level of damage being done to my low back by osteo-arthritis. I feel rather certain (unfortunately) that more surgery will be indicated. It's been just over 2 years since my laminectomy on discs L4 & 5.

Aging is not fun! Avoid it if you can! ;-{)

Byron

2 comments:

KailuaPhil said...

I will see you at the Symposium in Chicago. I had GBS over 20 years ago and luckily, it was a mild case. I now serve on the Board of Directors of The Foundation. For information on the Symposium, your readers can go to:

http://gbs-cidp.org

or e-mail me at LEAFISHING@AOL.COM for a copy of the press release about the event.

David Hines said...

I am glad I found out about your blog through "google alerts". I have a severe case of CIDP. I wanted to go to the Symposium so bad but it would be impossible financially since my neuropathies have disabled me to the point that I cannot work anymore. I still try to keep my hope of recovery some day. I will put your blog on my favorites list and keep up with what you share with us. Keep writing those blogs people do read them like me. You can share your experience in Chicago next month. Thanks for keeping the flame burning. God bless you, David Hines